THE CHALLENGE OF DROP – OUTS
- To economically support their families, some of our students tend to drop out at about the age of 12+.
- Others drop out after they join the middle level government schools, due to poor standards of teaching, abuse or the expense on books and tuitions.
We know that Our challenge is not merely to educate the child but to mould the parental perception about the benefits of attending school.
- Parental counseling through Parent-Teacher meetings and individual interactions .
- Special annual day showing for parents to increase awareness, involvement and a sense of pride in the achievement of their children to encourage them to continue with their studies.
- We follow up with our alumni in middle school and constantly encourage them to complete their schooling.
- We also felicitate and award alumni when they finish their 10th and 12th boards. Our first batch of alumni is ready to join college this year of 2015.
THE CHALLENGE OF GROWTH AND FUNDS
- Every year Pragati has to refuse admission to some eager children who wish to attend school . The aim is to reach a stage when no child from the neighborhood is denied admission.
- The main challenge is to provide basic infrastructure, maintain a good teacher- student ratio, provide a good quality all round education even as we grow .
We believe every Indian should have an opportunity to make our country proud. Our students perform exceptionally well and to continue this enterprise is the purpose of Pragati. And we need more people to join hands with us.
- Corporate sponsors: Over the years on and off, we have had the support of various enterprises.
- Individual sponsors : Individuals have been the backbone of Pragati since it’s inception. Sponsoring children or various projects of Pragati, they have been our saviours.
- Diwali Mela Sales : Annual sales of craft items before Diwali, help raise funds and awareness about us.
- Website and Facebook pages : We are going social to showcase our work and reach a larger audience who can join us in this endeavour.
- We would like to expand to accomodate all the children of the neighbourhood who approach us. Towards this goal, we need more people and organisations to join hands with us.
THE CHALLENGE OF SOCIETAL BEHAVIOUR
- SOME OF OUR MINOR GIRLS ARE WITHDRAWN FROM SCHOOL TO BE MARRIED AWAY !
- Some children who come from disturbed or abusive backgrounds, are violent or reclusive.
- Caste system brings divides among classmates.
- Living in small dwellings and crowded settlements, where both parents work for a livelihood, our students are easy targets of abuse.
Social evils still abound in our society and cannot be dealt with only by jurisdiction.
- We counsel both parents and children to the best of our abilities.
- Regular workshops on abuse prevention, child marriage, personal hygiene etc. are a requirement. We are in need of a counselor to address these issues as these issues need the help of a trained mind. We would appreciate a counselor who can volunteer their services or accept a reasonable pay for their time.